Changing English / edited by David Graddol ... [et al.].
Contributor(s): Graddol, David [editor.].Material type: BookSeries: English language.Publisher: Abingdon ; New York : Milton Keynes [England] : Routledge / Taylor & Francis ; In association with The Open University, 2007Description: iii, 291 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.ISBN: 0415376793 (pbk.); 9780415376792 (pbk.).Subject(s): English language -- History | | Humanities, English November2018Genre/Form: -- Reading bookDDC classification: 420.9
|Item type||Current location||Collection||Call number||Status||Date due||Barcode||Item holds|
|Book - (Non borrowing)||Central Library Second Floor||Baccah||420.9 CHA (Browse shelf)||Not for loan||000043865|
|Book - Borrowing||Central Library Second Floor||Baccah||420.9 CHA (Browse shelf)||Available||000043866|
|Book - Borrowing||Central Library Second Floor||Baccah||420.9 CHA (Browse shelf)||Available||000043867|
Previous ed.: published as English. 1996.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 269-280) and index.
1. English voices / Joan Swann --
2. The origins of English / Dick Leith and Liz Jackson --
3. Modernity and English as a national language / Dick Leith, David Graddol and Liz Jackson --
4. English: colonial to postcolonial / Dick Leith --
5. Accent as social symbol / Lynda Mugglestone --
6. Dialect variation in English / Martin Rhys and Linda Thomas --
7. Style shifting, codeswitching / Joan Swann and Indra Sinka.
This volume examines the history of English from its origins in the fifth century to the present day. It focuses on the radical changes that have taken place in the structure of English over a millennium and a half, detailing the influences of migration, colonialism and many other historical, social and cultural phenomena.